The University of Alabama’s Critical Languages Center (CLC) offers various less commonly taught languages, which are not available at many universities in the USA . These languages are offered through our membership in the National Association of Self-Instructional Language Programs (NASILP). Please feel free to explore the languages offered by the CLC and explore cultural resources on the web.
Faecbook Groups: CLC Farsi Class / CLC Hebrew Class / CLC Hindi Class / CLC Korean Class / CLC Portuguese Class / CLC Swahili Class / CLC Thai Class / CLC Turkish Class / CLC Vietnamese Class / Japanese Class
Our Mission The overall mission of The University of Alabama Critical Languages Center is to provide the opportunity for as many students as possible to acquire communicative competence in various LCTL of the world. The CLC seeks to accomplish the following goals:
- To provide native or near native speakers of the target languages as language trainers.
- To provide learners with the tools to function successfully in a different language, culture, and social situation.
- To provide practical, real-world language materials to augment the learning environment to simulate life in the target countries.
- To ensure that students can continue studying the target language in the future by giving a strong foundation in the basic structure of each language.
- To provide the opportunity for the students to communicate with native speakers inside and outside the class as much as possible.
- To serve as a resource for cultural/language education to the faculty, staff, and students of The University of Alabama; and,
- To encourage students to learn to function respectfully in countries and cultures different from their own, as global citizens.
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/clcua